Inside All of Us is...

Last weekend we saw Where the Wild Things Are. I loved it so much. Here are the things I knew I would love going in:

  1. Spike Jonze's handmade, organic look and feel. The guy can do everything: music videos, dressing up like an old lady on Jackass, movies, everything. I admire his touch.
  2. The monsters. This book and the Muppets made me love monsters at a very young age. As a kid I was the girl who was more afraid of lions than winged monkeys and actually wanted a monster under my bed.
  3. Catherine Keener. She is not afraid of weird roles (see Being John Malkovich), and she plays drama as well as comedy (see 40-Year-Old Virgin: "You want me to dress up like Thor? I'll dress up like Thor!")
I had read that the movie was not all wild rumpus and fun. It has its moments, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty heavy. And that's where this movie shines. Jonze and Dave Eggers are not afraid to visit the dark corners of a kid's psyche and the complications of being a family. Being a family isn't always fun, and it's rarely easy, but this film teaches a very good lesson without being preachy. But as one of the songs from the soundtrack by Karen O and the Kids says, "All is Love".

Bottom line? Take someone you love to see this film. You'll laugh, you'll cry (or at least I did), and you'll remember what it's like to be a little kid in a big unfair world.

And promise me this, gentle readers. When you go see the movie, use my favorite quote on someone you love: "I'll eat you up, I love you so."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.