I Can Hear Mr. GV Now...

I have been reluctant to get into Green Lantern. I just have. Mostly b/c I'm not a fan of superheroes in space, and GL books always seem so wordy with their "Lantern of sector blah blah blah...". But Mr. GV loves them so much, and I have been errant in my duties as a good geeky wife to read GL. If I'm being honest, I'm behind on a lot of books. I'm working on it.

Which brings me to my point. Last week I read Blackest Night 0. Oh, wow. If you haven't read it, go right now and find a copy. Black Hand has to be one of the creepiest mofos in the DCU. Geoff Johns writes a damn good story, so much so that I would read a comic about Toucan Sam if he wrote it.

On to this week. Two BN titles shipped this week: Blackest Night #1 and Tales of the Corps #1. No spoilers here, just to say that something happens in BN #1 that almost rivals Walking Dead #48 as a shocker. In Tales we get a few good stories. My favorite is Johns' story about Saint Walker. It's heartwrenching, beautiful, and almost brought me to tears.

Mr. GV, you tried to tell me. You owe me an "I told you so."

But wait, there are more comics to review this week! I'll pick one from last week, and one from this week.

First, from DC last week is Paul Dini and Guillem March's Gotham City Sirens. This one is an easy subscribe for me. I'm a huge fan of Harley and Ivy, and Selina has grown to be a really cool character. This story is all girl power, but there's enough cheesecake to keep the fellas interested. I have to admit, I like Harley in her schoolgirl outfit, but I'm ready to see her all harlequinned up in subsequent issues. I think it's definitely worth a test drive.

Second up is a launch title from my pals at Dark Horse: Creepy. Horror comics fans will recognize Uncle Creepy from the old 60s comics, but the stories are all new. Eric Powell (such a crush of mine) drew the cover and even got a letter published on the "Dear Uncle Creepy" page. I totally bought the comic for the cover, and b/c I can't resist a Dark Horse #1, but the stories are wickedly good. I can't decide which one is my favorite. It's a tie between the story about the "Hell Hound Blues" record and the dastardly fat farm. The stories are a welcome addition to any horrorphile's collection.

That's it for the moment. As I catch up on my stash, I'll post more reviews. We're going to see Harry Potter this weekend, so I'm sure there'll be some words on that.

Take care, gentle readers!

----------------
Now playing: Parry Gripp - The Girl At The Video Game Store
via FoxyTunes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.