A few quick hits...

First things first...
Listening: Your Mom's Favorite DJ, Kid Koala
Surfing: emusic, iTunes, myspace

Alright. Now that we've got that out of the way, let's begin.

  1. Be Kind, Rewind - Go. see. this. movie. Just do it! It's a lot of fun. Add in the fact that Brad and I took a "get ready as fast as you can and head to Knoxville" trip, including a stop at our comic shop in Sevierville and a new place, and it was a great day. We left with a pretty good haul, not to mention we had a blast. Oh, but about the movie--not only was it fun, but it also had a lot of heart. I think my favorite "Sweded" movie was Driving Miss Daisy, just because you could really tell they'd never seen the movie before. By the end, I was a little teary-eyed. If you're a fan of movies or have a creative bone in your body, you'll see why.
  2. Kick-Ass - This comic is extremely violent, but the art is amazing, and the storytelling delivers. Issue 2 came out today, so get in on this while you can. One of our comic shop pals was part of the poster campaign. If you're a fan of Powers or would like to see a Tarantino-style Spider-Man story, this book is for you.
  3. Fables - OK, peeps. We're 71 issues in, and if you haven't discovered this Vertigo title, then you're missing out. I finally completed my collection by picking up issue #1, and I couldn't be more excited. It's got everything: fairy tales, love, violence, marriage, war, wooden puppets, magic, swashbuckling, murder--really anything you want out of a good story. Yes, it features fairy tales and characters from our childhood, but it's really an adult title (and no, I don't mean that kind of adult title). Very mature storytelling, and every cover by James Jean makes the $3 bucks you spend an investment in a piece of art.

I gotta vent some comic rage. I was really excited to see the relaunch of Wonder Woman, because the Dodsons were on board. I enjoyed the first 2 story arcs, and the start of the 3rd was pretty good. But Gail Simone needs to check herself lest she wreck Wonder Woman. Ish 18 was a bunch of crap--a race of random aliens whose excuse for the teenager's bastardization of the English language was that she watches (and I quote), "the MTV". Come on, now. I've read the previews of the next few issues, and I'm still on board, but issue 18 was the first comic I've read in a long time that actually made me angry.

*Whew* I feel better. :)

Speaking of Amazon(s) (LOL), I ordered 2 Image graphic novels on Saturday, and they're already here! Luckily I had a $25 gift credit (thanks, ThankYou Network!), so it wasn't too much of a bust of my budget. Popgun is a compilation of works by a lot of Image artists, including Madman artist Mike Allred. I also picked up Jim Mahfood's Mixtape, Vol. 1, a collection of his art, including sketches and flyers. It's the bomb, yo. I love Amazon so much. I think it's my favorite store, just because they have everything I'm looking for.

That's the haps for now...at least on the review front.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.